02 February 2011

Unexpected Change of Plans

Some of you know that I was planning to use my two weeks without doctors appointments to go to Houston Texas to visit Lyn and her family. Paul drove the little RAV4 down from Homer to leave it with the motor home so we could tow a car when we travel. All looked settled. We would leave Monday morning and start the 3000 mile round trip.

Sunday afternoon I got a call from my dad and Kimmie that my brother was in bad shape. He has been having chemotherapy for Acute Aggressive Leukemia since June/July. We all thought he was 'out of the woods' and having his last treatment when we got the news that the leukemia was back in full force. It looks like he's as bad off as he was in June when the told him he had 2 weeks to live.

Needless to say, I'm in California to visit my brother! Paul arrived from Alaska Sunday evening and we hit the road Monday at noon.

Paul and I parked the motor home in Morgan Hill (85 miles south of UCSF hospital) at the Thousand Trails campground. From there we drove the little car and visited Denny for 1 1/2 hours Tuesday afternoon.

His spirits are up and he's confident and patient. His energy was pretty good too. He was able to talk fairly clearly (for being on pain meds) and hold a thought beyond interruptions. I feel better now that I've seen him and talked to him. He's not out of the woods yet and he has some pretty serious junk to endure but it looks encouraging.

Since I still have a small break between doctors visits, we're going to visit friends and family for a couple days. I will go back and see Denny again before we leave Morgan Hill and tonight we're having dinner with Tim and Irene Day. We've been friends since 1969 or 1970.

No comments: